Over the holidays I was back home, which meant my non-vegan family had to accommodate my plant-based diet when cooking for family gatherings. My dad is an amazing chef so he had no difficulty making delicious vegan food for me, and as an Italian man he was very excited to try something new: pizza bread!
Pizza bread is so easy to make, and can either be cut up into halves for a main course meal or sliced thin and used as an appetizer.
I helped my dad make two different pizza breads for a holiday gathering and everyone loved them! One was made with Italian sausage while the other was full of mushrooms and greens, and both of them were completely gone by the end of the night.
So if you’re looking for an Italian style meal for dinner, or for a finger-food that will blow away vegans and non-vegans alike, look no further!
Vegan Pizza Bread
- 2 Italian style pizza dough
- 4 ounces vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- vegan Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning to taste
For Vegan Sausage Pizza Bread
- 12 ounces vegan Italian sausage
For Mushroom and Greens Pizza Bread
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 10 ounces red leaf chard
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 clove garlic minced
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Let the pizza dough sit according to the package directions.
- While the dough is sitting, make the filling for the pizza dough (either vegan sausage or mushroom and greens).
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and roll out the pizza dough.
- Add the vegan Italian sausage to one dough and top with vegan mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- For the other dough, spread pesto over the top and then add the mushroom and greens filling. Top with vegan mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over each pizzas.
- Starting at the bottom, roll the dough up so that it is cylindrical.
- Place doughs on a greased baking sheet and cook at 400 degrees until the dough has risen and is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Let the pizza breads cool for 5 minutes. Cut into 1 inch pieces to serve as an appetizer or into quarters for a main dish.
For Vegan Sausage Pizza Bread Filling
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium-high. Once the oil is hot, add the vegan Italian sausage and cook according to the package directions.
For Mushroom and Greens Pizza Bread Filling
- Remove the stems from the red leaf chard and chop into chunks.
- Heat olive oil on medium-heat and add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Cook the red leaf chard until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Put the chard on a separate plate and melt the butter in the same pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the mushrooms until brown, about 7 minutes and then remove from heat.
As always let me know what you think in the comments below and share pictures of your own pizza creations. This recipe is very open to interpretation, and I would love to read what you decide to put in yours!
Was this helpful? Have feedback for me? Let me know in the comments, or shoot me an email at email@example.com. All photos in this post were taken by me unless otherwise specified in the caption. Header photo by me.