Y’all. You have GOT to try this recipe.
This right here is the secret to making the world’s greatest baked potato soup. It’s full of hearty veggies, is thick and creamy, and is 100% plant-based! When you want to get warm and cozy, or cook an amazingly easy meal that is guaranteed to impress your friends, then whip up a pot of this potato soup and you’re good to go.
I like to include vegan cheese and Italian sausage in this recipe when I’m feeling indulgent, but I typically try to avoid faux animal products. Also, this recipe is perfect for sharing with two or three friends or even eating by yourself over the course of a few days. If you want to make enough for a lot of people or to store some in the freezer for a rainy day, try doubling it.
It’s time to get your soup on!
Vegan Potato Soup
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 medium potatoes cubed
- 4 large carrots diced
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1/4 small yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 vegan Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup pepper jack non-dairy cheese
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- dash salt and pepper
- Scrub the potatoes clean and cut into cubes.
- In a medium saucepan cover the diced carrots and cubed potatoes with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a stock pot, melt the vegan butter over medium heat and slowly stir in the flour until smooth and creamy. Make sure not the burn the flour.
- Gradually stir in almond milk and vegetable broth over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, corn, onion, red bell pepper, vegan sausage, and pepper jack non-dairy cheese.
- Heat through so that the veggies get hot, about 10 minutes.
- Add seasonings.
- Serve hot.
- Garnish with diced green onion.
Let me know how your vegan potato soup turns out! All photos in this post were taken by me.