It’s been a while since I’ve posted a recipe on Forest Tourist, so today I’m sharing with y’all one of my favorite Italian dinners. I beg my dad to make this every time my parents come to visit or I travel back home, and when I came back to Florida earlier this week this was one of the first family meals we cooked together.
This recipe is for a vegan rapini and sausage pasta, but you can substitute the sausage with mild Italian sausage if you aren’t vegetarian. The best meatless “sausage” that I’ve found is the Beyond Beef plant-based ground – just rip it into tiny pieces and you have extremely believable chunks of sausage. My favorite non-dairy Parmesan is by the brand Follow Your Heart, although you can easily find vegan parm at any grocery store.
Try out the recipe below and let me know what you think!
Rapini and Sausage Pasta
- 3/4 lb penne pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 6 ounces vegan Italian sausage
- 6 tbsp vegan Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 lb rapini florets, tender stems, and leaves only
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp butter vegan
- Boil salted water in a large pot, and then cook penne according to box instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil on the stove over medium high heat. Add the vegan sausage and cook until brown. Remove from the pan and store in a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for around 1 minute before adding the rapini, red pepper flakes, and salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked vegan sausage, vegetable stock, and vegan butter, and cook over high heat until the sauce reduces slightly.
- Add the rapini and sausage mixture to the penne, and toss with vegan Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Was this helpful? Have feedback for me? Let me know in the comments, or shoot me an email at email@example.com. All photos in this post were taken by me unless otherwise specified in the caption.